The Welland Curling Club’s Junior Program offers a vibrant and welcoming afternoon of fun and instruction for both boys and girls ages 6 to 20 at a very affordable cost.
Scheduled on Sunday afternoons from 1:00 to 3:00 pm, the program provides an introduction to the environment. The curling is recreational but competition is available to those that show interest. Many of our juniors have advanced through the ranks and have competed in various competitions with great success.
Teams are reassigned every Sunday recognizing age, experience and promoting socialization. Most teams are coed but periodically they will be gender specific. There is something for everyone. To ensure players are at similar skill levels the program is divided into the following sections:
- Little Rockers section is for ages 6 – 8. They use our mini light rocks and curl for 1 hour with no scoring. We endeavor to have at least one instructor per sheet of ice. The session will include a warm-up, instruction and game.
- U12 (under 12 years of age) section is for ages 9 – 11. They use the full sized equipment and curl for 1.5 hours. Positions are assigned by age and experience. The goal is to have 2 instructors per sheet of ice with time designated for teaching skills.
- U15, U18, U21 section is for ages 12 – 20. They use the full sized equipment and curl the full 2 hours. The three age groups will often be mixed together so that the younger age groups can be mentored by the older, more experienced curlers. Opportunities are available to compete in Ontario Curling Association competitions. We endeavor to have 1 instructor to supervise during ice time, but expect the older curlers to be leaders. We offer continued instruction when requested.
- Secondary School Program curls on Tuesday from 3:00 to 4:30 pm. Here they curl with their Secondary School mates and compete against other schools. These curlers also have the option of curling on Sundays in the U15, U18 and U21 sections.
- Student Club Membership is for any junior age 14 and older who wishes to not only participate in the Junior Program but also play in any or all of the club’s adult leagues.
On Sunday afternoons when the instruction and games are finished, the curlers head to the Club’s lounge with their team and opposition to enjoy hot chocolate prepared by volunteer parents.
All equipment is supplied but participants must provide clean dry thick soled running shoes and warm loose fitting clothing. Used and new equipment is available for purchase.
Marietta Clift, a WCC Life Member, has done an outstanding job leading this program since 1983. For any further information on Junior curling, please phone Marietta at 905 734 9300 or to e-mail Click Here.